How to Find the Right Large Format Printing Services
The standard industry definition is that large format printing services (sometimes called wide format printing services) applies to any print job in which the width of the project is between 18” and 100.” Anything larger than that is extremely specialized “grand format” printing, and most jobs smaller than that are typically done on more traditional screen presses or digital printers. Let’s find out if your project is right for large format printing and if Data Graphics, an award-winning print house, is the best large format printer for you.
Data Graphics has a pair of leading edge large format printers, two of the better tools in the industry. Depending on the dimensions and substrate (material) you want, we can do your large format printing on:
Our Acuity Advance Select Arizona Flatbed provides rigid direct-to-substrate printing up to 48” x 96” by 2” thick—the size of a two inch thick sheet of plywood. We provide digital printing on polycarbonate, styrene, canvas, acrylic, wood, PVC, sheetrock, aluminum composite, coroplast signs, and many other materials. Most commonly, clients use coroplast signs as full color yard signs, window and sidewalk signs, promotional and event signs, or real estate and campaign signs.
- Our Roland VersaCAMM large format printer provides flexible direct-to-substrate printing up to 30” wide and as long as you want it to be, which makes it perfect for large banner printing. We can print on a wide variety of materials, most commonly vinyl, canvas, polyethylene film, fabric and paper. Clients typically use the Roland VersaCAMM large format printing capabilities in one of two ways — for large run poster printing, ,or for small run custom banners, including business and trade show banners, wedding and birthday banners, or grand opening and event banners.
Why Data Graphics is the Best Large Format Printer for Your Project
- Quality – If there is one thing that sets us apart as the best large format printer, quality is it. Data Graphics is certified as AS 9100, ISO 9001, and UL compliant, making us one of the world’s most certified, and highest quality sources for large format prints. We are accustomed to meeting the precise standards of the aerospace, medical, military, OEM and telecommunications industries so coroplast signs and large banner printing are a breeze.
- Value – As a client-centered large format digital printer, we strive to give our clients great prices and the absolute best possible deals on large format prints, coroplast signs, and large format banners.
- Speed – Call 800-639-4316 now for an Insta-Quote to see just how fast our process really is. We are an industry leader with turn-around times of 2-10 working days. More than 60% of our digital printing projects are shipped ahead of schedule.
Size – We are large enough to have many of the latest and greatest machines, but small enough that each of our customers are valued clients. You will never be just a number at Data Graphics.
- Versatility – Data Graphics is one of the most versatile printers in the nation, and is not limited to just large format prints, coroplast signs, and large format banners. Between our screen presses, flexo machine, heat transfer press, digital printers, laser etchers, Datron custom engraving machine, Metalphoto ® developing station, embroidery machines, and Arizona flatbed, we can print on virtually any material of virtually any size. From custom work uniforms to pens with your company logo etched into them, from large format banners to tamper-evident plastic labels, from coroplast signs to indestructible anodized aluminum legend plates, we can meet your printing needs.
- Confidentiality – Data Graphics is an ITAR Registered (International Traffic in Arms Regulations Compliant) company which adheres to the industry’s highest, government-reviewed standards of security and confidentiality. There are only a handful of large format printers in the nation who are as trusted and have achieved this level of certification. We are happy to sign a NDA upon request.
- Dependability – Data Graphics has a hard-earned reputation as America’s top quality large format printing services company. The firms that trust us with their projects are a “who’s who” of Fortune 500 Companies. More than 80% of our customers repeat order. The enemy of printing is messiness and a lack of maintenance of machines, which can lead to delayed and poor quality products. We follow a rigorous cleaning and maintenance protocol to ensure almost no downtime and mistake-free large format banners, posters, and coroplast signs. The shop is impeccably clean, to the extent that our vendors, who supply other large format printers, frequently comment on it. We would be proud to give you a tour of the plant at any time.
- Problem Solvers – Our veteran staff is helpful and knowledgeable, with literally hundreds of years of collective printing service experience. Our sales engineers are genuine, the most helpful in the industry, and provide unrivaled large format printing services. With all of our years in the industry, we know how to solve large format printer problems, and bend over backwards to help clients solve their printing issues. You won’t find a large format printer who you like working with more than Data Graphics.
- Getting it right the first time – Our best practices protocol ensures that our team double-checks the work each step along the way, and we regularly catch tiny errors in art and purchase orders that even our clients miss.
- Excellence – Our team is…how shall we say it…a little OCD. It may be hard to imagine being obsessive about coroplast signs, large format prints, and large format banners, but their standards are incredibly high, and they insist that anything leaving the house with the Data Graphics name be pristine. That’s why we average 99% approved order rates.
Is Large Format Digital Printing Right for You?
Before jumping straight to the artwork for your large format banners and coroplast signs, and large format prints, you might want to consider the strengths and weaknesses of large format digital printing.
Large Format Printing Services Advantages
- Size – The obvious advantage is the size of the project. Screen printing is limited to the size of the screen. The fact that our large banner printing is only limited by length of the material you are able to purchase, gives you a great deal of flexibility in ultra- large banner printing.
- Picture Quality – Digital printing is able to capture extraordinarily fine detail unavailable through other methodologies. Digital printing captures color subtleties that no other form or printing can match, reproducing color gradients and fades. To turn a photo into a large format prints, posters, yard signs or banners, digital is the obvious choice.
- Speed – Most projects, especially multi-color projects, can be done faster on digital large format printers than through other methodologies. Data Graphics can print hundreds and hundreds of individual large format banners, coroplast signs, and other large format prints each day.
- Cost – Digital printing can be the low cost option, especially for smaller runs. Printing projects often have fixed costs associated with artwork, producing dies, and creating the screen(s) used in screen printing. There are a lot of unavoidable “set up” fees, which can be prohibitive if you have a small run project. Our large format printing services are often able to bypass the artwork fees on a digital project, the Roland VersaCAMM can provide simultaneous contour cutting, and there is no screen creation involved. All told, this can make a short run of coroplast signs, poster-style large format prints, or large format banners affordable.
- Serialization/UIDs/QR Codes – On rare occasions, clients need large format banners, coroplast signs, and other large format prints with QR Codes, barcodes, data matrix, or serialized/sequential numbering. The best large format printer technology has these capabilities, and we are happy to provide these large format printing services when needed.
- Versatility – Our Acuity Advance printer has state of the art UV ink technology capable of producing high quality images on a diverse range substrate, including polycarbonate, styrene, canvas, acrylic, board, wood, PVC, aluminum composite, coroplast signs and many other materials. Our Roland SP can print on a wide variety of materials, including vinyl, canvas, polyethylene film, fabric and paper.
Common Applications for large formatting printing include:
- Indoor/Outdoor large banner printing
- Wall murals
- Yard coroplast signs
- Trade show/company signage
- Event marketing
- Window stickers/clings
- Floor graphics
- Location flags
- Backlit displays
- Wedding/birthday banners
- Real estate signs
- Point of sale signage
- Custom printed doors
- Fluorescent lit panels
- Pop-up stands
- Sale and grand opening banners
- Election or campaign signs
Large Format Printing Services Limitations
- Colors – Those clients who have worked with Data Graphics before know our small team of color gurus go out of their way to custom match your colors. That option is not available with digital printing. Even the best large format printer uses exclusively PMS colors. Fortunately, this is a wide spectrum of colors, and industry standard, so it is a minimal limitation.
- Durability – If your project is going to be exposed to saltwater, abrasions, chemicals, extreme heat, or heavy wear and tear, digital printing may not endure all that it is subjected to for very long.
- Ultra-Violet Light, Inks, Dyes and Vibrancy – The reality is that no digital printing can match the coverage and vibrancy of screen presses. That said, there is a huge difference between the color quality, the coverage and especially the UV resistance of different types of inks or dyes. Getting the wrong ink will likely lead to disappointing results.
Why the Ink and Dyes Used by Large Format Printers is Important
The best large format printer knows that the project all starts with the ink.
- Plotter/Pen – Technically, these are large format printing services employing ink pens to create oversized images, but these are primarily used for CAD and not really applicable for most of our clients. We do not offer these types of large format printing services.
- Aqueous Pigment – This is considered to be a water-based dye, though technically it is a pigment held in any of a number of non-reactive solutions. Large format printers that utilize this methodology large banner printing capable of withstanding UV fading. However, the colors are generally duller, the color pallet is more limited, and the pigment is not completely water-proof. This is commonly used for large banner printing and other flexible (non-rigid) applications. Data Graphics does not believe this methodology is best for our clients.
- Aqueous Dye – This is considered to be a water-based dye, though technically it is a dye held in any of a number of non-reactive solutions. Large format printers that utilize this methodology are able to print in more vibrant colors and have a wider gamut of colors available. However, large banner printing utilizing these dyes are very susceptible to both UV fading and damage from rain or moisture. They must have a UV protective coating to even be considered for outdoor use. This is commonly used for large banner printing and other flexible (non-rigid) applications. Data Graphics does not believe this methodology is best for our clients.
- Eco-Solvent Ink – This refers to any ink that employs glycol esters as the liquid in the solution. By its nature as a non-water-based ink, it is much more weather resistant. The solvents actually trigger a chemical bond between ink and substrate. As the name implies, this ink is much less toxic, and more environmentally friendly than other technologies. Our Roland VersaCAMM is one of Roland’s leading Eco-Solvent large format printers. It is the best large format printer for many jobs, because they note the Roland Intelligent Pass Control technology “virtually eliminates banding by optimizing masking patterns and dot placement at the edge of each pass.” It is the perfect tool for large banner printing and other flexible (non-rigid) applications. We believe this is one of the best methodologies for our clients.
- UV Ink – Some large format printers utilize an ink that is actually cured using UV rays. Unlike traditional inks that dry when heated, these inks cure (dry and set) through UV exposure. This has the advantage of being virtually impervious to water, UV, and bad weather. Among the large format printers, this also produces the most vibrant colors. Our Acuity Advance Select Arizona flatbed is a UV machine that is so advanced it stands out from other large format printers. As they note, “With outstanding image quality and excellent adhesion to a broad range of materials, the Acuity Advance can produce an amazing variety of printed products for distance and close viewing.” More importantly, that high quality image endures under the harshest of UV exposure. This is typically used on coroplast signs and other rigid applications. We believe this is one of the best methodologies for our clients.
Let Data Graphics Prove We Are the Best Large Format Printer
There is a reason Data Graphics has been best large format printer by so many important firms for so long—we have unsurpassed quality and unrivaled customer service. We would love to provide you with our award-winning large format printing services, and meet any other printing needs that you have. Please call us at 800-639-4316 and begin to discover the Data Graphics Difference.